Wednesday, January 03, 2007

I'm Home!!

Oh my word.

Words cannot even describe the past week I experienced. There's so much to tell!

I'll only tell you the highlights - everything was sooo good, we'd be here forever if I told you guys everything!

I got on my flight with my friend Kerry the morning of the 27th. We arrived in Ottawa, not knowing anything. We didn't know who was picking us up, where we were staying, or even where the bus was meeting the next day to get to Quebec!! Luckily, Kerry went to the washroom, and on her way back she saw this guy holding up a sign saying "CCO Canada" on it. Boy, God is good!

We arrived at the Regier's who are the FOUNDERS OF CCO. We got to stay at their house for the night. What a privledge. They are wonderful people with 5 kids.

The conference itself was absolutley amazing. I learned so much about my faith - the Catholic faith - and I am so proud and blessed to be a Catholic! All the people there were the nicest people I have ever met - not one was snooty or thought they were above someone else. It was sooooo great to be around people of the same mind set.




We were blessed to have the Arc of the New Covenant in our presense (see the above picture). The Arc of the New Covenant is a symbol made by young people in preperation for the Eucharistic Congress that is to happen in Quebec City in 2008. It is rich in symbolism and in meaning.

On the 3rd night of the conference, this Arc was one of the turning points for me. We were each given a piece of paper and a pencil, and on that piece of paper, we were to write down a name of someone who we were to commit to in helping them seek the Lord. After writing their name on a piece of paper, we were given a charm for a necklace of the crucifix (blessed by the Pope!) to give to them. Then we were to walk up to the Arc, say a prayer for the person, and drop their name into the Arc. Wow. It was so deep and a very emotional night for me.



Another emotional night for me was the night before, where we participated in Eucharistic Adoration, as well as the Sacrament of Reconcilication. I hadn't gone to confession in years. I knew this was my chance to cleanse myself of my sins. I had put it off before because I found it stupid to be going to a priest for forgiveness, but now I know why. I was also putting it off because I was scared that the priest would judge me for my sins and for not being to confession in years. But, I gathered up all my courage after praying for a very extremley long time. I sat next to the priest, and as I was about to say my sins, I started bawling my eyes out. The priest was very patient and understanding, and he did not judge me at all. It was amazing.

Another amazing experience was on New Years Eve. We got to go to mass in the old Cathedral in Old Quebec. Inside was breath taking, as you can see from the pictures.


Over 400 Young People did a procession before the mass to the cathedral. We stopped outide the gates of old Quebec, lit candles, and then parted (like the sea) to allow the Eucharist to enter between and and then lead us to the church. Nuns were running to their windows to see the Eucharist, and people were running out of shops. It was so....i can't even describe it. When we went into the church someone did a count - and about 50 people who were not a part of our group followed us into the church!!

After the mass, we all ran back to the Hotel to get ready for our New Years Banquet and Dance! That was sooooooo fun.
Think about it this way....people dancing and having the time of their life sober and clean from drugs. At midnight, after saying Happy New Year and giving hugs to strangers around you, you sing Praise and Worship to the Lord. What a way to start off a new year!
Here are some pictures of New Years Night!!



Me and my friend Lisa!!







Me, Lisa, Mike, Sarah, and Brock.





Praising and Worshiping at Midnight:















This was one of the best experiences of my life.

Here are a few more fun photos in general of Quebec, Ottawa, and some from the conference!






Me and my friend Brian Bird (who is the lead singer from Jared's band!)







Rob. He was the speaker for the Opening Session (and I have the honour of having him be on staff for CCO at Douglas!)






Me and an odd Jester Statue in Old Quebec. (I made really good friends with him!)





The View from my room!!
These are just tidbits.
Thanks to all of you who told me to go for it. It was a life changing experience!!!

6 comments:

Kimmy said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful time. What an amazing way to begin a new year!!

Ive said...

Wow. I am so glad you had a wonderful time. That sounds like you really had an amazing experience!

Not a bad way to start off 2007!

Just Jim said...

Must have been a fabulous experience AND in Quebec City. Good on you.

Kaylee said...

you are absolutely radiant in these pictures.. I can tell something wonderful has happened (and will continue evolving within you) from your writing. Can't wait to hear more about your experience in Quebec.

Love always xox

ps. I've been to that Cathedral! So exhilarating!

Jenn's Yarn Addiction said...

I've been to that cathedral too - years ago but I remember how beautiful it is. Glad you had a great time! Happy New Year!!

Kiltman said...

That cathedral holds a special place in my heart. Beside the main altar is a table that I helped dedicate last year. The ceremony concluded in a beautiful part of the Church for private Papal Masses. I was awed by the beauty of the place surrounded by so much history. The 'Halt' picture on my blog was taken in the guts of the wall surrounding the Old City and I was there with you in spirit as you described the New Year's Eve scenario.

When you have a moment, please e-mail me as I have a question about
The Lindberg Academy.