Tuesday, December 05, 2006

To go, or not to go?

In some of my earlier blogs I mentioned an event that I was considering going to: RISE UP.

Rise Up is a Conference that a group I'm in (Catholic Christian Outreach aka CCO) has every year. This year, it is in Quebec.

Basically, It's a 5 day conference, filled with worship, praise, workshops, masses, and a big New Years Eve Bash. There are usually about 400 people there - most post secondary students involved with CCO.

I'm really struggling deciding whether I should go or not.

I want to go beacause I've never been to Eastern Canada before, and I think it would be an amazing experience. My bible study leader, Amber, told me that she'd seen me grow in my faith a lot more this year, and she thinks it would be a good year for me to go. I also want to go because I'll grow even more in my faith with Christ and I'll get to meet some amazing people.

The reasons I don't want to go is because I'll be away from family and Jared during New Years - and that I don't have the money to go. A plane ticket there and back is $900.

Amber said that all I would need to raise for this would to be at least $300, and the rest CCO would cover because she really wants to see me there. She says that if I do really want to go, that God will provide the rest of the money for me.

But I've been having this feeling like I'm not ready to be going, like I shouldn't be partaking in this quite yet.

I don't know what to do - money wise, I'd be fundraising and asking people for money, and I HATE doing that because I feel terrible about asking people for money, especially during Christmas time.

I have to give Amber an answer by tomorrow whether I'm going or not.


Someone, please help!! ASAP!

Thanks.

-Amanda

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'd say go with your gut

Kimmy said...

I'd say go - money isn't everything and the experince will be worth it. My sister and I spent $15,000 each in Europe - a heck of a lot of money, but worth every penny. I know I'll be paying it off for a little longer and Kailin will be paying it off for years, but neither of us would do it differently if we were given another chance.

As for your family and Jared, it will be tough to be away from them, especially Jared, during New Years, but really it's only a day. Celebrate you own New Years before you go or when you get back. You can always celebrate Chinese New Years this year instead. New Years is more of a new beginning anyways and what an amazing way to reaffirm your faith than to start the new year off worshipping him.

Whatever decision you make though, the key is to not regret it. Make the decision and stick with it. If you start to doubt yourself, it won't matter what you decide as you will feel like it wasn't the right decision. Trust yourself!

Ive said...

Here's how I look at it:

1) This has the potential to be an amazing event that will help you grow in your faith and as a person.

2) You'll meet so many like-minded people and you don't know how this network of people may help you in the future. Perhaps this experience will help you with life's other decisions.

3) Being away from loved ones is tough but it's only 5 days. Susan and I were away from each other for FOUR YEARS during university - 1 of those years I was in Scotland! So 5 days is a drop in the bucket. Besides you'll have something amazing to share when you get back!

4) Quebec City will be amazing during the holidays. It's a slice of Europe. I loved it when I went there. Take the opportunities to see the world. It's always beneficial to travel.

5) If you've been growing a lot in your faith this year, I think a conference like this will only help you. Perhaps now is a perfect time. Just look at it as an opportunity for greater growth - especially if you don't feel like you're ready. It's all about your growth so is there really a time when you will be "ready"?

6) Seize these kind of opportunities when they arise. Who knows if the same opportunity will be there in the future. Who knows if you'll be free? Who knows if CCO can help fund you next year?

7) Fundraising sucks but on the other hand, $300 is nothing in the scheme of things. It is WELL worth the expense.

The upside of going FAR outweighs the downside of not going. If you want to grow in faith, then this would be a wonderful way to do it. I'm sure you're praying lots about it and if it's meant to be, everything will work out (including moneywise). Just have faith in that.

Hope that helps some...